What is asthma?
Asthma can be closely related to allergies. Often the inflammation in your airways is an immunologic response to an inhaled substance called an allergen. This reaction also causes the muscles that support your bronchi to tighten, which can further constrict your breathing.
What are symptoms of asthma?
Asthma causes a variety of symptoms including:
- Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
- Tight feeling in your chest
- Wheezing or a whistling sound when you breathe
- Coughing or wheezing attacks
- Disturbed sleep from shortness of breath or coughing
What causes asthma?
The specific cause of asthma is unknown, however, it is believed to be a combination of genetic and environmental factors that contribute to your chances of developing this condition. Risk factors for asthma include:
- Family history of asthma
- Other allergies
- Smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke
- Being overweight or obese
- Exposure to certain chemicals or pollution
Asthma symptoms and attacks have many potential triggers including:
- Airborne allergens like pollen, dust, and pet dander
- Upper respiratory infections
- Cold air
- Air pollutants
- Physical activities
- Certain medications and preservatives
How is asthma managed?
Trigger avoidance is a critical part of asthma management. This might mean keeping your home clean to limit the amount of dust to which you are exposed or keeping your windows closed during the pollen season.
Our doctors can also prescribe medications to help keep your airways open. Asthma medications are either long-term medications that you take daily or quick-relief medications that you use when you have an asthma attack.
If you suffer from asthma, call to make an appointment today.
Elkins Park Family Medicine is conveniently located at 7848 Old York Rd in Elkins Park, PA at the corner of Old York Rd. and Spring Ave. There is ample and handicapped accessible parking as well as a Septa bus stop directly in front of the office. The Elkins Park Train Station is two blocks from the office.
|Monday||8:00am - 6:00pm|
|Tuesday||8:00am - 6:00pm|
|Wednesday||8:00am - 3:00pm|
|Thursday||8:00am - 4:00pm|
|Friday||8:00am - 1:00pm|
Get in Touch